Monday, October 09, 2006

Happy Homecoming Girls

Happy Homecoming Anniversary to my sweet baby girls!
One year ago today we were getting everything set to bring Maddy home from the hospital. Oh, it was such a sweet day. We chose to room-in with the girls on that Sunday night. Maddy for sure was scheduled to come home the next day. But when we got to the hospital to stay for the night, we found out that Miss Morgan was one ounce shy of four pounds and since that was the required weight to leave the hospital, the doctors wouldn't even let her spend the night in our hospital room with us and her sister.

That evening the nurses wheeled Maddy to our room in her crib and brought along with her all the monitors and contraptions that she would need. It was the first time we were ever really alone with her. William and I were just enamored with her. We sat in the room just staring at this tiny baby. She was four pounds two ounces. It was quiet. There was no beeping or alarms going off all around us and I think that was the first time we ever had a really quiet moment with our daughter. It was of course bittersweet though because her sister was still in the NICU across the hall from our room.

That night I got up every couple of hours to feed her and after she was settled back in the metal crib, I would walk over to the NICU and feed Morgan. Me in my pajamas and all, sitting in the NICU rocking chair at two a.m. spending time with Morgan, whom the next day I would leave behind all alone at the hospital.

The next morning the nurses knocked on our door. Surprise! They had weighed Morgan that morning and she was four pounds even so they wheeled her bed into our room to be with her sister for awhile. Now they were together again. We took Maddy from her bed and put her in the crib with Morgan. Both girls were side by side for the first time since before they were born. They seemed instantly to be at peace that way.

We played for a while and then we all went back into the NICU to get Maddy ready to go home. We were hoping the doctors would take Morgan's morning weight and let her go home with her sister but they didn't. The doctor wanted us to wait one more night. So sadly we took Maddy home that day and sweet Morgan stayed the rest of the night in the NICU. It was the first time in her life that I didn't spend almost the entire day with both girls.

Luckily the next morning came fast and the nurses called and told us to come pick up Morgan. When I arrived at the hospital I left my mom and Maddy in the car and ran up to get Morgan. They had her all packed up and waiting on me. Finally we were a family. All together. All in one place and for the first time ever, not in a hospital. It was a wonderful moment for me.

Happy Homecoming Maddy (October 10th) and Morgan (October 11th) I have loved every single minute of the last year at home with you. I have loved watching you grow and play together. Your bond as sisters, as twins, is stronger than any I could have imagined. I love you both so much and am so excited to spend the rest of my life watching you grow and mature into the beautiful smart girls I know you are becoming. I love you both very much.

Love, Mommy

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is so sweet. (I can't believe they wouldn't let them come home the same day, though.) I know I'll never forget that first night with Patrick, much as you described that first night with Maddy. I imagine you felt much more complete with both of them, though.

Hechung said...

Happy Homecoming Anniversary! Thanks for sharing your memories of those days. Your wonderful girls are so blessed to have you as their mom. I agree that I can't believe they didn't let both of them go on the same day because of one ounce (talk about technicalities).

It was cool to read about your NICU reunion. They did a lot of cool things there.

What The Hell Is This? said...

HAPPY HOMECOMING 1 YEAR ANNIVERSARY BABY GIRLS!!!! We all waited on this day.. but nothing like your mom and dad did..

Mommy Of Two said...

maddy and morgan i love you both so much you both mean the world to me i think of you as my own next month will be one year the very first time me and your brother meet you and held yall in our arms that minute your brother held yall he addmitally fell in love with his most beatifull sisters in the world we have got to spend this first year with yall and hopefull the years to come. you have done so much this year. and came along ways since you were born. we are so proud of you. we love you both so much.

Becci said...

Happy Anniversary, sweet babies!