Thursday, July 27, 2006

Not My Best Day

I am stressed out! I am tired! I feel beaten down, although there is nothing really to explain why I still feel this way. I am frustrated. I'm not in a bad mood. I'm just mostly worn out and a touch of sad.

This morning I took Morgan to LeBonheur for her second swallow study. After the last study at Baptist, I'd sworn to myself and everyone else in blogland that there was no way I would repeat a swallow study because of how traumatic and exhausting it had been on us. They had strapped Morgan from forehead to toes to a wooden board, layed her flat on her back on a table and proceeded to feed her chalky barium in water while laying down. She was hysterical, I was on the verge myself. While I felt that the actual procedure was done poorly, I was relieved to find that there was really nothing wrong with Morgan's swallowing and I could continue on with what we had been doing.

Today was much different. Today we went to LeBonheur and it was not at all an unpleasant experience. A Speech Pathologist student came out to the waiting room and we talked for a while about Morgan's first test and how I felt about it all. I explained what had happened and how I had felt then. She assured me that the way this hospital conducted these studies was nothing like the Baptist experience. We were taken into a x-ray room where they put Morgan in a foam chair much like a high chair and she had one strap across her lap. She was more facinated with the belt then bothered by it. Much to my chagrin she kept trying to stick the end of it in her mouth to taste the velcro (ewww-germs). We didn't have to wait long on the doctor to come in, he was pleasant. The barium was flavored, apple I think, and Morgan enjoyed the taste of it. We had to pry the bottle from her hands because she liked it so much. The unpleasant part came at the end, when the speech pathologists came out to give us the results. Turns out, Morgan is actually aspirating some of the fluids in trace amounts down her windpipe. She cleared them out on her own and that was a very good thing. Long story short, because I have already answered several calls today and repeated this story over and over, she is now diagnosed with dysphagia and they want us to use a thickener in all her liquids and to thicken her pureed baby foods to a honey consistency.

Why does this bother me? Before I went I had suspected that this is what they would tell me she needed. Am I just tired from the anxiety of going? Am I just exhausted with the idea of adding one more process to a laundry list of parental duties for my two preemies? Am I concerned and depressed because of the long talking to I had with the pathologist about the seriousness and cause of this problem? In short, yes, yes, yes, and yes. The pathologist said that her problems could be caused by the low trunk muscle tone. It could be that her nerves in her throat aren't sensitive enough to trigger the correct swallowing response. It could be that she has CP and this is stemming from that. It could just be that she was so premature and lots of premature babies have this problem. Though the pathologist did say she doesn't see a lot of kids with what Morgan was doing. I honestly think it was the mention of CP that just set me into a tailspin today.

Here is what I am feeling. In the end, whatever is wrong with Morgan (hopefully, prayerfully nothing at all) William and I are so blessed she is here. We love her. We will raise her to be a strong little girl, then a woman, no matter what. We will teach her she is perfect and beautiful and God made her the way she is for a very important reason. Nothing can change my opinion on these things.

However, I still feel complete sadness at the thought that my sweet baby could have any major challenges in life. I know, I know, all kids have their own sets of challenges, and I know things could always be different or worse in many ways. But that doesn't stop me from worrying or feeling sad. I tear up thinking about the possibility of her having any kind of life long problems. If it is CP, will she walk funny? Will she be made fun of by the other kids? Will she feel like she got the short end of the stick because she is different from everyone else? Who knows. I know lots of kids have disabilities. I know that they are miracles and special and there is nothing less about them then the other children, if anything they are more special and beautiful. But I can't imagine any parent, any mother, not feeling deep sadness and that sick in the pit of your stomach feeling at the idea that your baby will have more struggles than the kid down the road.

I just wanted to be closer to the end of these problems stemming from the prematurity. They just turned one and I thought we were catching up, and we are. I know, I know. I just feel like we are on the cusp of dealing with new problems instead of finishing up our worrying over the same old problems. Does that make sense?

I am sick of talking about it. So I guess I will quit. Maybe a good night sleep will help me feel better. Less gray and dreary. I will try to get those dern pictures of the party up tomorrow. I didn't even try today. Didn't really have time. So I will try tomorrow.

5 comments:

Tonya said...

*hugs* Mandy I am so sorry you are feeling like this and it is natural to feel that way.. I would feel just like you. I pray Morgan will be totally fine.. Just take one day at a time.. one breathe at a time.. and just try and relax. As each day passes the girls get stronger and stronger.. Im sure things will turn out for the best.. You are a loving mother and you CAN deal with anything that comes your way.. Feel free to email anytime if you need to vent or just need some support.. *hugs*

ps. Randie was strapped to the board as well for her study just like your first experience by the sounds of it.. but she was not bothered at all!! Strange how 2 children could react so differently :)

Maggie (Sarah's mom) said...

Hugs to you!!! When will the worry stop? I often ask myself that. I've pondered many of the same questions. I worry about what a cruel world can do to a child that might have some issues/delays/conditions. I know that whatever faces Sarah that we will do the best to minimize and try to overcome any issue the best possible knowing that not all things can be overcome.

Don't let the worry consume you. Taking it each day at a time is the BEST advice. We can't worry about everything. Look at how far your girls have come! Every time I get down on this subject, I look at Sarah and tear up in amazement of where she's come from.

Hugs~

Kathy said...

I think it's a hard thing to be a mother. Our hearts have been given over to our little ones, and it hurts to think they might hurt. It only makes it worse to see them at this age, perfectly happy, and know the hurt they have in front of them. When you start thinking about long-term health issues that could really make a difference in their lives, it can easily get overwhelming.

I know you can't help but worry for her and hurt for her. It's completely natural, so don't worry about how much you're worrying. All of us other moms are here to support you.

What The Hell Is This? said...

The fact that you can even deal with this just shows how strong you are. Not many people can deal with the small issues, and you are living through the great big ones. You know your girls are strong.
I love you and you know you all stay in my thoughts and prayers.

Amy said...

I wish I had reassuring words for you that would make the worry go away. The worrying just never ends, does it? Just know I am praying for you and Morgan.