Saturday, July 01, 2006

Domestic!

Okay half way through typing this post the electician stopped by to check on a few things. He flipped the breaker and all that beautiful writing vanished when the computer was suddenly without power.

So ... I was reminding you of how last week I became determined to get the girls one of those fancy shcmancy shopping cart covers that keep tiny mouths and fingers from sucking up loads of germs from the everyday buggy we use at Walmart and Target and wherever else I drag my precious babies too.

I was telling you that I went to Babies R Us to find one last week, but all they had was ugly dark BLUE ones that cost $40.00! $40.00 people. So William being the super encouraging husband who believes in my domestic goddess skills suggested I buy a pattern for one and make two.

I went to Hancock fabric and picked out lovely fabrics in girly colors. I bought the $8.00 pattern, the seat belt and buckle for it. I even bought the fusible fleece it required. The lady who cut my fabric said that it would be a fairly easy pattern to do. It ended up costing $30.00 but at least it would be girly right?

All I can say is yeah right! The directions in it were indecipherable many times. I cut out the fabrics and pinned it like I should. I then called Shelley and asked for help.


Shelley is a doctor and Dan, her husband, is an engineer. It took all three of us three days to figure this pattern out and get the thing made. It was ridiculously hard. There were times when we, as a group, had to take a time out just to keep from throwing the whole dern thing out the back window.


Dan entertains Morgan while we sew!


But finally we finished and now ... Ta Da!!! We have the most beautiful shopping cart cover EVER!!!! William and I went to Walmart last night to get groceries and we took it along. Maddy really liked it and it kept her somewhat entertained and more importantly ... germ free, while we shopped.

On its maiden voyage, I got stopped THREE, count them, 3, three, times by strangers commenting on how cute or how neat it was. I was the envy of all the other shopper moms and, AND, it was 1030pm on a Friday night. Imagine my fame and attention when I take the thing to Target today! Yep, you betcha, gonna be so exciting, people will probably want autographs, I bet!

Thanks Shelley and Dan for helping me (okay for mostly doing it for me :)) We really appreciate it! We make a good team! Thanks Dan for the physics lesson and helping us figure out the gest of what the stupid instructions were trying or flat out didn't say. Ya'll are both the best!

Here it is! In all it's glory ...

Maddy checking out the fancy features such as POCKETS!
And Link-A-Doo loops!

5 comments:

Kathy said...

Ooh, pockets! That looks so nice, like it's much better quality than the overpriced ones you can get at the store. I'm sorry it was such a production to get them made, but it's great that they're getting you so much good attention. They're something to be proud of now!

Tonya said...

ohh how cute :) You all did a great job and now the girls will be germ free.. YAY!! So what day is their birthday? Geez.. feeling like I dont have enough info over here but know its this month!!

Emmakirst said...

The cover is gorgeous! I can only imagine how difficult it was to make, I swear patterns are like reading Greek to me. So I don't burden myself with it.

Ashley said...

Oooh, that's cute. You could start your own business.

Silly Hily said...

OMG, I love it! I can't wait to hear how the Target trip went. I bet you were practically mugged. :-)