Monday, June 26, 2006

My Little Sunbeam

When I was a teenager I worked at my church camp and during the summer we would have a group of little girls called Sunbeams and Girl Guards come. It was kinda like girl scouts and brownies only it was run by our church. Anyway, on the last night of camp we held a formal Indian ceremony around a campfire. Depending on the number of years camp you had attended you received different things. The first year girls made headbands during the week and the second years, made moccasins. They wore these items to the ceremony. Third year girls made Indian dresses out of brightly colored fabric sewn together by the leaders and then the children painted on them and cut fringe. During the ceremony, the third year ladies received an "Indian name" Something like "Lily flower" or "Butterfly Princess" or some other "official" Indian name. It was a big dot deal for these little girls and it was an important thing for the third year campers.

This picture of my sweet little sick Maddy Moo reminded me of those Indian names, and so I lovingly dubbed her:


"Royal Princess Fussy Pants"


She's been wearing this crown since Saturday. She has worn it almost all day today and when I took it off and put it in the toy box, she crawled over to it and tried to put it back on her head.

3 comments:

Emmakirst said...

Cute story about church camp. I LOVE the pic of Maddy with the tiara!~ I'm glad that Maddy is starting to feel better though, must have been quite the exhausting week.

Sounds like the shower was a hit! Cute pics. Take care.

Kathy said...

I love the tiara story! Maybe feeling like a princess makes her feel better--or at least makes her feel better about being so demanding. :)

Tonya said...

Great story :) Love the fussy pants...