Monday, June 12, 2006

Watching Them Grow..


We live on a small farm. William takes advantage of all the land out here and makes us a vegetable garden every summer. He loves it. He spends countless spring and summer hours working it, and his hard work usually pays off. Every year we have a better crop than the year before.

When we first moved here, we planted all the normal vegetables out there and got back very little. Some of the things we planted were what they call two year plants, meaning the first year they don't produce anything but the next they do. Most of the stuff just didn't grow like he had hoped.

But the next year we pulled in a bit more and then last year we had quite a bit to boast about. Unfortunately, last year I was in the hospital and then the girls came and were in the NICU and we just didn't have time or energy to enjoy all the stuff that grew. We ended up giving some of it away and what we didn't rotted.

Some things that grow in our garden have been here a long time before we got here, like the blueberries. Some things aren't ours like the peaches that grow in the orchard next door. But I thought I would show off some of William's prize possessions. He is so proud of his super growing skills. My family even buys him gardening stuff for Christmas because it is the only thing you can really get him that gets him all excited and fired up. If you have a second, let him know how proud you are of his skills. It will surely make him feel good :) and we could all use a little booster every now and then :)

Blackberries and Blueberries


Cabbage and Corn


Cucumbers and Lettuce


Peaches and Pumpkins


But his prize possessions are his watermelons. Scroll below to see them!






Wait for it ....






Be patient ....






Working hard on growing these ....
This one is about 3 inches long.


These are much bigger than that ....

Maddy Grace


Morgan Gabrielle

Think we might win a prize if we take these two to the fair?

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Poppy wants to know where he can get pretty watermelons like those.

We love you, Mimi and Poppy

Kathy said...

Those watermelons are adorable...all of them! That's cool that you have enough land to have a big garden. I don't usually like vegetables, but fresh vegetables straight from a garden are always good.

Anonymous said...

Those are the BEST watermelons I've ever seen. William sure does know how to grow things right. I can't wait to show them off to everyone. See you tomorrow, melissa

Anita said...

The garden is very nice,he definately has the green thumb.
And those two watermelons are beautiful,what little charmers they seem to be.
This is Tonya's cousin by the way not some crazy...lol

Tonya said...

Ohhh I so LOVE the watermelons.. they are the best darn watermelons I have ever seen.. how impressive..lol

and WTG William on growing all the veggies... good stuff!!

Emmakirst said...

Yay on growing all those veggies William. It looks great :) Especially the watermelons.

I have to say, love Morgan's name. My new baby's name is Ava Gabrielle ;)

Maggie (Sarah's mom) said...

OMG - way too cute!!!

I am jealous since I don't have a green thumb :)

Becci said...

OH I long to have a garden with veggies!

Paige said...

very very cute watermelons sure to win a prize at the fair for cuteness and flair!

thanks for stopping by and giving me the great advice....and the crossword puzzle thing cracked me up!

Silly Hily said...

"Think" you might win something for those two girls? My answer, absolutely! Oh those girls make my heart melt they are so precious! And I LOVE their little dresses!!!!!
Oh, and William darling, coming from a person who actually had a hosta DIE (yeah, you know the thing that everyone told me "you can't kill) well, it comes as no shock that I more than admire your green thumb! :-)