Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Poor Little Maddy Moo

Today Maddy crawled over to me in the rocking chair and was whining for me to pick her up. When I did, I noticed that her head was really hot, but the rest of her was cool to the touch. I leaned her back to look at her face and I noticed her eyes looked heavy. So I decided to take her temperature, thinking that surely she was fine and I was being paranoid, as usual. But when I took her temp the thermometer kept climbing and got up to 102.7 before it slipped.


So I called my mommy in Vegas who said that since Maddy has been so lethargic the last two days (I had sent her an email yesterday saying Maddy was a "sleepyhead") and she had been tugging on her ears since Saturday, I should go ahead and call the doctor. I called and they gave me an appointment an hour later. I called Brigitta, our sitter, and she came over to watch Morgan while I was gone.

Maddy and I got to the doctors office where she was all smiles and such a happy baby. They weighed her and said she weighed 15 1/2 lbs. The nurse looked at her chart and said she had weighed 12lbs in April. So that is a pretty good gain for two months. The doctor came in, took one look in Maddy's ears and said they looked awful. She has a double ear infection and they prescribed Amoxicillian, which William is going to pick up tonight on his way home from work.


My poor baby is sick. I almost started crying in the doctor's office. I told her of how we had gone out to eat this weekend and I put Maddy in the restaurant highchair for the first time and how Maddy had put her mouth on the side of the chair in that split second when I looked away. I asked if this could be where she got the germs and the doctor started giggling. She said "Oh honey, this is not your fault. Don't try to take the blame. Babies get sick and ear infections are very common at this age" She asked me if I had a dropper to give the medicine and I said "Like the one in the tylenol bottle right?" and she laughed again. She said she would get me one. She said "Oh, I forgot, the girls have never been sick before now" (except for the killer stomach flu we had in April, which required no medicine).

So ... she said I was doing a really good job as a mom, and that made me feel a little better. Though, I still feel very much to blame. I feel even worse that I scoffed at the price of the shopping cart covers, because now I am definitely getting one or TWO even, no matter what they cost. I just can't have my babies getting sick with ear infection after ear infection.

This Saturday when I put Maddy in the shopping cart at Target and again in the high chair at the restaurant I said to myself "Calm down, it's okay for them to be exposed to some germs" Inside I was screaming "germs, germs, germs" but outside I was trying to let go a little and relax. But now I just feel like this is all my fault. I know it isn't the end of the world. I just hate that she feels bad and I hate that Morgan might get it too (because they share everything). In all reality, who knows where Maddy got this bug because she was pulling on her ears on Saturday and so it couldn't be from eating out or Target. But I still feel badly about it.

Keep my sweet Moo in your prayers tonight. I will let you know how it progresses!

5 comments:

Tonya said...

Ohh poor maddy *huggles* I hope she is feeling better real soon.

And it is NOT your fault! You are a great mother to those girls and I dont even think you can get an ear infection from the shopping cart?? I think it is just something that happens in the ear.. You would never put them in harms way and we all know that! She will be fixed up in no time.. I know you want to run when you think of germs.. Im the same way but you have to remember that the girls need to get their fair share of germs and colds etc to build up a resistance to it.. **huggles** Morgan as well because I just cant hug just one!!

Kathy said...

Poor thing. I hope she starts feeling better soon, and that you survive this first ear infection too. Remember that it's not your fault she's sick. It's not like you put her in a room full of sick kids and paid them to cough on her or something. She was bound to get sick sometime, regardless of how germ-phobic you are. You're pretty lucky she's lasted this long. I do wonder if there's something going around, though, because I'm starting to get worried that Patrick's getting sick too. (Not that they could have caught it from each other, but maybe it's something about the season?)

Hechung said...

I am thinking of Maddy and will say a prayer for her tonight. You are such a wonderful mom, you definitely can not blame yourself for her getting sick.

Maggie (Sarah's mom) said...

Poor Maddy!!!

Stop beating yourself up. Sometimes ear infections are caused by something other than picking up germs. I get 2-3 per year myself - it's all allergy related. You said that Maddy started tugging on her ears on Sat which was the same day you took her out and put her in that highchair. Germs wouldn't make he sick THAT fast! You know that - so stop beating yourself up.

I sometimes wonder if I'm over the edge with the cart cover. Honestly the investment in that has probably added years to my life since I don't worry as much. Who knows if they work - but they make me feel better :)

I hope she's feeling better real soon!

Amy said...

Ugh! Ear infections are the worst. Baylee has had one and Brayden has had two. Each time, the whole sleep schedule is shot and we have to work our way back to it.

Hope Maddy feels better SOON!