Friday, June 16, 2006

Two, hopefully funny, Short Stories ...

well maybe not so short ...

Mission Impossible ---
"do do do do do, do do do do do"
(That's my rendition of the theme song if you hadn't figured that out already :)

Today Morgan woke up from a nap right about the time that Maddy was going down for one. Morgan and I played for a while on the floor in the living room and about an hour later we heard Maddy playing in her crib. I went in and instead of getting Maddy out, I put Morgan in the crib beside her so they could play together. Now, normally when I put them in the crib or playpen together they end up crawling on top of each other and both screaming. So you can imagine my amazement when after about thirty minutes I realized I hadn't heard a peep coming from their room. Not a peep, not a cry or a giggle or anything. I knew that it was a good thing and that they were both surely fine but I wanted to check on them just to be sure.

I didn't want Maddy to see me, because if we made eye contact even once she would surely start screaming to get out of her bed. So instead I got down on the living room floor and crawled on my hands and knees to the hallway. I peeked around the corner to see if she was at the end of her bed looking out. She wasn't. I didn't see her or Morgan from my crouched down state. I stealthily moved through the small hallway and into the girl's room, up to the edge of the crib where the bumper and mattress met. I found a small spot to peek through from the bottom of the bumper. Maddy was sitting there playing quietly with a toy. She was facing me but didn't notice the movement of the bumper. I knelt back down for a second. Too cute spying on them so I peeked again. This time I couldn't help myself. I started laughing, but not the outward robust laugh you would expect. This was a whispered laugh, kinda like siii hhaaaaaaa haaaa haa. Maddy looked up. That made me laugh more, still muffled. I ducked back down and waited till I got myself under control. When I peeked again, she was playing again intently, unaware I was even there. I have no idea why this was so funny to me but I started laughing again. She looked up again. This time I was a little louder but still muffled. She looked straight out like "What the heck is that noise" I thought I was going to die. I burst out laughing loudly all the while trying to back up still crawling through the hallway and into the living room so as not to get caught. I got almost through the doorway to the living room and looked up to see my two foot baby standing at the edge of her crib scowling at me. She didn't cry or laugh, just looked at me like I was an idiot. Yep, I'm the mommy :)

---------------------------------------------

It's Foreign to Me

Have you ever had a manicure or pedicure? I am sure you have. I don't know about other areas of the country but here almost every place you can go to get your nails done is run by Asian manicurist. There are some salons in town where American manicurist do your nails, but those places usually require a reservation and cost more money.

Last weekend was mom's surprise party and all her work friends were going to be there. I wanted to look polished, you know professional, like I used to look before I quit the workforce to be a crazy lunatic mommy (see first story). So anyway, I went to my local "walk-ins welcome" nail salon and asked for a manicure and spa pedicure. Total Cost: $37.00. I was by myself, but that was okay, it was overall very relaxing ... except for the jibbering and jabbering the manicurists did amongst themselves. It's all in their own language mixed in with some pointing and laughing.

One young girl was in the spa seat beside me when I got there. She was a bigger girl and she was somewhat loud and immature. When it came time to pay, I guess they had overcharged her or something as she got in a little debate with the manicure guy (yes, I said guy) and then they worked it out in his broken English and her very southern twang. But when she left, it was like the flood gates opened and the manicure guy and the pedicure old woman started spouting out all kinds of jibber jabber (I call it that only because I have no idea what nationality they are and don't want incorrectly label them)

They were pointing at her, still outside waiting for her ride, I guess, and they were going back and forth "yaaawwweeee soooouuuee see bing ching dee" I am just making stuff up. It was all silly sounding to me. The guy was making hand gestures and was upset and the old woman was waving her hands and laughing. I sat there in my chair soaking my feet watching their expressions. From the expressions and tone I guess I could tell they were being mean to the girl and talking about her weight and how rude she was ...blah blah blah. Anyway, the sounds that their language made and the boisterous way they were talking left an impression in my head.

Overall, I was annoyed that they were ruining my relaxing pedicure experience, which I only get done a couple of times a year. But still, I probably would have forgotten about it completely except that this week I've noticed the girls making the same sounds at home. The last two days Maddy and Morgan have been playing on the floor together and jibber jabbering to one another. Maddy says "yaaawwweeee sooouuuee see" and Morgan responds "bing ching dee daaa eeee" and so on. It is too funny. This morning they were in their high chairs and William was getting breakfast ready for them (strained carrots, yum?) and they started it up again.

To make a long story short, or not, I felt like I was right back in the salon again. Maddy was squealing and making those sounds and Morgan was waving her arms around in the air talking back. Makes me feel like everyone is speaking this crazy language around me that I just don't understand.

---------------------------------------------

Just thought I would share two stories for the price of one! Well, I thought they were funny ... ??? ...!

6 comments:

Kathy said...

Ok, both stories made me literally laugh out loud (I think I woke Patrick up with the laughing--oops). I sometimes do similar things to check on Patrick without waking him up, but I have yet to resort to an army crawl. :) I also know exactly what you mean about the Asian nail salons. It's too funny that the girls are talking like that now too. You should take them to the nail salon when they get a little older and see if they can translate for you.

Mandy said...

If it's true that twins develop twinspeak I might just have to do that Kathy :) You are so funny!

Mommy Of Two said...

How Funny I Can Just Picture You Crawling On The Floor. It Makes You Wonder What The Kids Really Think Of Us.

Emmakirst said...

The image of you crawling on the floor into the girls' room made me laugh pretty hard. hehe. That's too funny. Too cute that the girls are speaking in Asianese. hehe. They are just too cute in that picture :)

Tonya said...

Oh yeah too funny!! The thought of you crawling into the room to check on them was hilarous.. I could almost see it!! Glad you enjoyed getting your nails done although the peace was a bit ruined..

Becci said...

I just have my mom come and do pedicures for me. It's cheaper and she speaks my language:)